Website Gladieux Metals Recycling
Duration: Spring and Summer Semester 2022, potentially longer
The Plant Engineer Intern oversees engineering and process for critical metals recovery from catalyst and lithium-ion batteries. The ideal candidate will be able to effectively recommend and implement improvements and/or modifications in plant operations, equipment utilization and related matters. The individual in this position will also provide a variety of engineering work in developing and implementing of site and plant related capital projects, which may include, reviewing proposals of outside vendors regarding the purchase of new or modernization of existing production/processing equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works very closely with Shift Supervisor’s and Operators on a daily basis and oversees the technical troubleshooting within the Plant.
- Analyzes lab and production parameters and data to both resolve technical issues and improve production.
- Conducts technical trials on the units and writes reports on these trials as needed.
- Attend and participate in meetings and planning sessions that involve Plant operations. These meetings include, but are not limited to: daily production meeting, weekly safety meeting, weekly R&D meeting and bi-weekly production planning meeting.
- Be a key contributor in working with Plant Management team on unit utilization for optimizing production, while working to complete all orders as required.
- Work in partnership with Production Administrator to ensure Material Balances are completed and any issues or questions are answered and resolved.
- Works with accounting team to finalize monthly utility usage.
- Will be an author and/or, key contributor in written processes and procedures at the Plant. Some of these documents include, but are not limited to: Quality plans, Plant Operational Procedures, Production Workbooks and Laboratory Workbooks.
- Works in partnership with Maintenance Manager by researching and diagnosing any recurring technical issues on Plant equipment.
- Works with Production Manager and Maintenance Manager on scheduled maintenance outages, to prioritize work and any projects that are necessary for completion during the scheduled outages.
- Has involvement with subcontractors that can include: writing the scope of work and managing the work that is being performed by the subcontractor.
- Works in conjunction with HSE to develop engineering solutions as needed.
- Be a key contributor on special projects and capital projects as assigned
- Be a key contributor to creating a safe working environment for all of Aleon Metals. Do this by attending and facilitating, as needed the weekly Plant Safety meeting and by reinforcing the need to execute tasks safely with the operations and maintenance force on a daily basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs workflows and procedures.
Design – Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions.
Interpersonal Skills – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions.
Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings. Writes clearly and informatively; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
Physical Demands – The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment – The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to; moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.